TAIPEI, Taiwan - Owing largely in part to strong sales of PC VR (Virtual Reality) and standalone VR HMD (Head Mounted Display) devices...
The Taiwanese IPC industry's shipment value grew 8.8% sequentially in the fourth quarter of 2016 to about NTD 39.6 billion (USD 1...
"This will be mainly owing to the slowdown in PC shipment decline, the resumed growth of smartphones, and new foundry capacities," says Chris Hung.
"While the semiconductor growth is expected to remain unabated in 2017, the PC industry is still hoping for a long-awaited rebound as demand for consumer PCs remains weak," says Charles Chou.
Worldwide shipment volume of PC systems - comprising of notebook PCs, desktop PCs, tablets, and servers - is forecast to total 424 million units in 2017, down 4.4% year-on-year. Except server which is estimated at over 5% year-on-year growth, shipment volume of all PC systems will keep declining in 2017 albeit at a slower rate.
"Also what we have found is that Taiwanese makers' notebook PC shipment volume has not been affected too significantly by Chinese counterparts and therefore Taiwanese notebook PC industry's global share will likely to manage to stay at the same level in 2017."
Hung notes that this year the fabless IC industry has been doing relatively well compared to other semiconductor sub-industries and is anticipated to grow by 11.3% compared to 2015 with a shipment value of NT$574.6 billion (USD18.13 billion).
"There are many growth contributors, including the strong sales of their Chinese smartphone clients, the integration of Taiwanese controller ICs into the supply chain of the world's tier-one companies, and the increased shipments of panel driver IC manufacturers for high-end LCD TVs," says Hung.
Looking ahead to 2017, shipment value of the Taiwan fabless IC industry is forecast to grow by 7% to NT$614.8 billion (USD19.4 billion).
The foundry industry is another growth driver of Taiwan's semiconductor industry and its shipment value is anticipated to reach NT$1.09 trillion (USD34.4 billion) and NT$1.18 trillion (USD37.2 billion) in 2016 and 2017, respectively. Year-on-year growth rates are estimated at 6.9% and 7.4%.
- 1The Conservation Mentality of Smart Agriculture Systems
- 2Mobile Phone Boards Recycling Big Data Reveals Secret of Precious Metals in Electronics
- 3Ang Lee's New Movie May Re-ignite the 3D TV Market
- 4Sensors for smartphones Are Hot Selling Items
- 5The Conservation Mentality of Smart Agriculture Systems
- 6Taiwan's Semiconductor Industry to See 5.5% Growth in 2016
- 7Should TSMC Worry About Intel Cooperating with ARM?
- 8PMOLED Is Showing Its Power of Diversity
- 9Taiwan OLED Display Panel Suppliers Overview
- 10Semiconductor to Continue to be Main Growth Driver for Taiwan in 2017