Renesas Electronics and 3db Access AG, a fabless semiconductor company specializing in secure ultra-wideband (UWB) low power chips...
Renesas Electronics today announced that its power solutions, as well as timing solutions from IDT, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Renesas...
The new high-efficiency power supply IC allows system manufacturers to quickly and easily implement safe and reliable power supply equipment that is based on the USB PD 2.0 and 3.0 specifications.
The USB PD specification makes it possible to provide DC power over a USB cable to equipment, such as notebook personal computers and digital single-lens reflex cameras that previously could not be powered over a USB cable.
In particular, in addition to the maximum 7.5 W (5 V at 1.5 A) of the earlier USB standards, this new standard adds Power Rules based on 15 W (5 V at 3 A), 27 W (9 V at 3 A), 45 W (15 V at 3 A), 60 W (20 V at 3 A), and 100 W (20 V at 5 A) capacities. As a result, power supply designers are faced with challenges supporting multiple voltage levels of the USB PD standards, output voltage switching, and handling large currents up to 3 A. Also, as the concerns for hazards (e.g., overheating on non-compliant cables) associated with larger currents increases, new designs for USB PD power supply will need to provide a higher level of safety and reliability.
Given these conditions, Renesas moved up its development of technology for “Simple DC/DC” called for by users of Renesas microcontroller (MCU) and system-on-chip (SoC) devices, and developed power supply ICs centered around DC/DC converters that can achieve an efficiency rate of up to 95 percent leading to less power loss, as devices that can resolve the issues in the construction of power supply equipment that supports the USB PD 2.0 and 3.0 standards.
- 1Flex Power Designer Broadens Support and Adds New Features
- 2PICO-WHU4: Compact Board Built for the Edge
- 3Toshiba Launches Compact High-Speed Communication Logic Output Photocoupler
- 4HOLTEK New BH66F71252 Bluetooth Beacon Transmission 24-bit A/D MCU
- 5MEMXPRO Introduces Extra Long Life TLC SSDs for Edge AI & 5G
- 6Ultra-Low Power and Security for IoT Come First on New STM32L5 MCU from STMicroelectronics
- 7Toshiba Launches Compact, Low Power, High Resolution Micro-stepping Motor Driver IC
- 8HOLTEK New HT45B3305H CAN Bus Controller
- 9A Cornerstone For Storage: Design-Forward External Hard Drive
- 10STMicroelectronics Reveals Latest Innovation in EV Energy Management for Cleaner and Safer Mobility