Murata Manufacturing has launched a surface mount type IEC 60384-14 Y1 class safety certified ceramic capacitor for low-profile power supplies...
TAIPEI, Taiwan — There’s no secret that it’s another freezing cold season in the semiconductor industry, either th...
Safety certified capacitors are placed at a power line input side in order to eliminate noise that builds up primarily in commercial AC power lines.
Safety certified capacitors are usually of the lead type, but the mounted height above the board surface is a problem because it hinders efforts to make low-profile devices and it limits component layout. In addition, because lead type capacitors are through-hole mounted, the lead wires are exposed on the underside of the circuit board. A fixed amount of insulating distance between the exposed lead wires and the metal components of the device is required by safety standards, so this complicates spatial layout within a device.
The new Murata capacitor uses a structure of plate-shaped terminals on a disc-shaped ceramic dielectric placed within a plastic mold to reduce the terminal thickness that is present with lead type capacitors, and this results in a mounted height of 2.5mm or less for the product.
Furthermore, the component format enables reflow surface mount, and there is no longer a need to assure insulating distance at the underside of the board. This advances profile reduction for power supply devices subject to size limitations in compact AV equipment, LED illumination and 1U rack mounted equipment, for which spatial design has been difficult.
- 1AAEON Launches the PICO-KBU4, A Rugged and Expandable Compact SBC
- 2Toshiba to Deliver Value SAS SSDs Targeting SATA Applications
- 3New Current Sense Transformers Now Available at Wurth Electronics Midcom
- 4First 32-bit MCU to Feature Robust, Chip-level Security and Arm TrustZone Technology
- 5Portwell Anniunces New COM Express 3.0 Evaluation Board with 10GbE Solutions
- 6TI's New High-voltage Amplifiers Enable Accuracy in Error-Sensitive Industrial Applications
- 7Unleash Maximum Airflow with Lian Li PC-011 Air Chassis
- 8New Vishay Intertechnology Series of Direct Water-Cooled Wirewound Resistors
- 9BIOSTAR Unveils M500 M.2 2280 PCI-Express NVMe SSD
- 10HOLTEK New Higher Noise Immunity A/D Touch MCU BS86xxxC Series