According to the report of DRAMeXchange, a division of TrendForce, the Enterprise SSD market has been expanding in recent years driven by the development of data center...
Despite the recent adjustments of product mix by suppliers, the supply of server DRAM remained tight in 1Q18, thus resulting in high average selling prices...
In recent years, China remains the largest importer of memory chips driven by its domestic and exporting demands. Therefore, Samsung has to show respect and give response to the opinions of China. According to Avril Wu, research director of DRAMeXchange, the MOU to be signed may influence the global memory market in the following two aspects.
1. DRAM still faces a tight supply, but the price growth will be moderated
On one hand, for memory products suppliers, current profit of mobile DRAM is much lower than that of other products. Affected by the sluggish demand of smartphones in 1Q18 and the intervention by NDRC, the price growth is expected to be limited. For the future, suppliers may continue to shift their existing production capacity from mobile DRAM to other products with higher gross margin, resulting in less price increases of other products as well.
2. Suppliers have a higher possibility to expand production capacity to moderate price increase
On the other hand, in the sector of NAND Flash, the portion of 3D NAND Flash in suppliers’ product mix will continue to increase, which has largely eased the tight supply compared with last year. However, in terms of DRAM, new bit output has not be available yet, resulting in ongoing undersupply. DRAMeXchange notes that suppliers may be more active in production capacity expansion in the condition that Chinese government intervenes in pricing and suppliers find it hard to lower the costs. Increasing the bit output by production capacity expansion will not only stabilize the price, but also allow suppliers to maintain the absolute amount of profit of DRAM products.
CTIMES loves to interact with the global technology related companies and individuals, you can deliver your products information or share industrial intelligence. Please email us to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1The Average Contract Prices of Enterprise SSD May Fall by 10% in 2Q18, Says TrendForce
- 2TrendForce: Three Major Server DRAM Suppliers Score 10.3% Revenue Growth in 1Q18
- 3LG Display Retains Its Lead in the Large Displays Shipments in Q1 2018, IHS Markit Says
- 4Adoption of Under-display Fingerprint Sensor for Smartphones to Top 100M Units by 2019
- 5Inspur Will Climb to Third Place in Global Server Shipment Ranking for 1H18, Says TrendForce