MIC conducted a research study on 902 AI startups worldwide that are closely followed by investors on AngelList. Based on the scope of technologies and fields of applications...
The research institute MIC (Market Intelligence & Consulting Institute) used the IPC code to describe field and found th...
"This will be mainly owing to the slowdown in PC shipment decline, the resumed growth of smartphones, and new foundry capacities," says Chris Hung.
"While the semiconductor growth is expected to remain unabated in 2017, the PC industry is still hoping for a long-awaited rebound as demand for consumer PCs remains weak," says Charles Chou.
Worldwide shipment volume of PC systems - comprising of notebook PCs, desktop PCs, tablets, and servers - is forecast to total 424 million units in 2017, down 4.4% year-on-year. Except server which is estimated at over 5% year-on-year growth, shipment volume of all PC systems will keep declining in 2017 albeit at a slower rate.
"Also what we have found is that Taiwanese makers' notebook PC shipment volume has not been affected too significantly by Chinese counterparts and therefore Taiwanese notebook PC industry's global share will likely to manage to stay at the same level in 2017."
Hung notes that this year the fabless IC industry has been doing relatively well compared to other semiconductor sub-industries and is anticipated to grow by 11.3% compared to 2015 with a shipment value of NT$574.6 billion (USD18.13 billion).
"There are many growth contributors, including the strong sales of their Chinese smartphone clients, the integration of Taiwanese controller ICs into the supply chain of the world's tier-one companies, and the increased shipments of panel driver IC manufacturers for high-end LCD TVs," says Hung.
Looking ahead to 2017, shipment value of the Taiwan fabless IC industry is forecast to grow by 7% to NT$614.8 billion (USD19.4 billion).
The foundry industry is another growth driver of Taiwan's semiconductor industry and its shipment value is anticipated to reach NT$1.09 trillion (USD34.4 billion) and NT$1.18 trillion (USD37.2 billion) in 2016 and 2017, respectively. Year-on-year growth rates are estimated at 6.9% and 7.4%.
- 1Semiconductor to Continue to be Main Growth Driver for Taiwan in 2017
- 2Taiwan's Semiconductor Industry to Continue Outperform the Global Average in 2017
- 3Computer Technology and Control are the Most Important Smart Home Appliance Patent Fields
- 4Chinese Refrigerator, Air Conditioner, Washing Machine Industry Concentration Remains High in 2016
- 5IMP Remains Mainstream Resolution for Consumer IP Cameras
- 6Seasonal Rush for Gaming PCs to Bolster Global Motherboard and Desktop PC Shipments in 2H
- 7Taiwanese Manufacturers Shipped about 1 Million Servers on the Full System in the Q4 2016
- 8Global Gaming PC Market to Remain Growth Engine for the PC Market in 2017
- 9Taiwan Smartphone Shipments to Resume Growth in 2Q 2017
- 10Chinese Smartphone-based VR Headsets Enjoy Fastest Growth