Plessey Semiconductor today announces its commitment to being the first to market with a monolithic microLED based display based on GaN-on-Silicon...
Plessey announced that it will be releasing its LED beam control module, which they are branding Stellar at the Light an...
Furthermore, it significantly lowers the cost and provides for far greater design freedom for secondary optics within a luminaire. The first off applications include retail spot lighting, hospitality lighting, high and low bays, street lighting and stadium lighting. It is estimated that Plessey's chip scale optics will halve the cost of these lighting applications.
Dr. Keith Strickland, Plessey's CTO, said, "The CSO technology was originally designed as an on-chip phosphor dam. We realised that the original growth silicon, normally sacrificed during LED production, could be shaped and used to form mechanically robust, MEMS-type features on the emitting surface of a vertical LED.”
“The degree of collimation is controlled in part by the mechanical dimensions of these on chip structures and we have demonstrated emission angles as low as 10 degrees. The IC industry has used silicon for over 60 years and can be readily fashioned into many shapes and patterns. We have created silicon MEMS features in a variety of other applications and can manage to incorporate a complex primary optical design on the chip."
Dr. Samir Mezouari, Plessey's Principal Optical Designer, added, "High-end lighting designers do not count lumens per Watt as the primary figure of merit for LEDs. A lighting designer aims to illuminate a particular surface area. Chip Scale Optics can significantly simplify luminaire designs by forming symmetrically collimated beams with narrow angles or asymmetric beams to form elongated far field light profiles. Schemes to collimate monochromatic light at the LED level have been developed before but no-one has previously collimated white light at the LED level."
- 1FWS-2275: Solution for Secure Industrial Networks
- 2HOLTEK New BH66F71662/52 Bluetooth Beacon Transmission Body Fat Scale MCUs
- 3STMicroelectronics Boosts Performance While Enhancing Ecosystem on STM32 MPU
- 4Renesas Electronics Unveils Industry’s Highest Performance Wideband mmWave Synthesizer
- 5Renesas Introduces RX23E-A MCU Starter Kit to Jumpstart Accurate Analog Evaluation
- 6BOXER-8110AI: Utilizing Service Robots to Prevent the Spread of Disease
- 7UP Board Deployed: Pandemic Prevention with Telepresence Robots
- 8ST Reveals STM32CubeMonitor Runtime Variable Monitoring and Visualization Tool
- 9STMicroelectronics Launches Smart Gateway Platform for Automotive Gateway and Domain Controller
- 10Toshiba’s 80V N-channel Power MOSFETs Fabricated with Latest Generation Process